Saturday, August 8, 2009

What a trip

We are in Alabama and it feels like we never left...not sure if that is good or bad :)
The trip usually takes up 13-14 hours. This time it took us almost 18! We were not even out of VA when my right rear tire blew. Dennis was the leader and did not see me pull over. My dad was behind me and together we changed the tire w/ the baby spare. A state trooper stopped to warn traffic...we were by a guardrail so not much room....and he just watched a grandpa and girl struggle with the tire and jack! When lowering the jack, it broke and the van fell on it, trapping it under the van. I then looked at the trooper and asked if he had a jack we could use. He brought us one and watched us use it! I had to move the dog, Preston and a cooler to the back seat to get the tire out. Then I had to take out a box, and two plastic pans filled w/ light bulbs to get the jack. (I was worried that the trooper would think we were running a Meth lab) when the van dropped off the jack, a suitcase fell out too! Dennis pulled over a few miles ahead and then we all went to the next exit to change the spare w/ a real tire Dennis had on the boat trailer. The broken jack was not much help and we were at a rinky-dink gas station/snack bar! We bought some food and ate while Dennis and my dad worked on the tire. The lottery in VA is 102 MILLION this week so I made Dennis buy tickets from the gas station...thought maybe it was a divine plan for us to be there. I will let you know if we win!
All in all we lost about an hour and a half time-wise. I was sooooo tired of driving... when I finally layed in bed I still felt like I was moving. The rest of the trip was long but uneventful.
We got the dogs settled and went off to bed at 1:45am.
I was up at 7 30 am and ready to go! We ate breakfast and Ryan, Grant and I went over to the new house. Dennis and Preston went to get the boat weighed (moving requirement). The kids love the house and I liked it too. BOXES EVERYWHERE! My parents came over and brought drinks, Dennis's mom came over and brought Pizza and drinks and my friend Kelly showed up with drinks! At one time there were 7 extra adults and 3 extra kids in the house "helping". It was a bit too much so I sent the kids off to swim w/ my parents. It is really hard to direct people on where to put things when I am not sure yet where things will go. HOWEVER, this is the most unpacked we have ever been at this point. We had to stop around 5 to get ready for our "surprise" welcome home dinner. I had a feeling something was going on and my friend winked and told me not to go like I was.....dirty, smelly and in nasty clothes. It was a nice meal given by our Sunday school class. We ate and played Mexican Train (dominoes). Tomorrow we will go to church and then more work on the house. I have some paperwork to fill out for the kids schools. They are starting Monday. I will take G and R and Dennis will take P. We have to go to sign the paperwork they would not let mom sign. They seem excited but not about the dress code...all shirts tucked in and w/ a belt!
I took a few pictures and will try to get them up soon. Still have to get phone and Internet service.....TV .....fence finished....buy a refrigerator...............

No comments:

Post a Comment