I was staying late at work and asked Preston to pick Ryan up from workouts and take him to his play practice. As I was driving home from work, Preston calls:
P: Hey MOM! My truck is smoking!
Me: I am on my way, it is probably out of oil or something
P: This is embarrassing!
Me: You will live, I had an old blue truck too and it smoked from time to time, hang on I am on my way
Next call:
Ryan: Mom the truck is on fire
Me: ON FIRE! WHAT? are you out? did you call 911? Which side of the road are you….oh wait I see you (tons of smoke at a distance).
Preston thought his truck was making a weird noise and when he stopped at a red light it started smoking. He waiting until the light was green and then pulled through the intersection and off into an old store parking area. It was smoking pretty bad and he and Ryan were calling both me and Dennis. Dennis told them to get out of the truck but Preston said, It is not on fire dad, just smoking and it is raining outside. Then he said, hey dad there’s someone coming to my truck. Dennis said if they are adults, they will help you. “Dad they are saying to get out because the truck is on fire!” Dennis; “get out"!”
By the time I got there I could hear the fire truck and the smoke was billowing way into the air. Preston and Ryan were standing away and a friend’s brother had also stopped when he saw Preston’s truck.
This is what I saw when I got there. I was thinking just a little smoke like when your car over heats!
The fire men were great and even got Preston’s cleats and extra shoes out of the truck.
My friend, Sue said her husband showed her a picture of a truck on fire that he took on his way home from work. Later she saw on Facebook that it was Preston’s truck. Ron got a “great” picture of the flames. The flames started out underneath which is why Preston did not see them but the truck driver across the street did! Thank the Lord!
The aftermath! Now Preston is driving Dennis’s old truck and Dennis has a “new” one. I think it about killed him to give up the old truck. We bought it right before Preston was born!
Very exciting day…and one where I thought we would all be home for a home cooked dinner because of the rain…HA!
I did tell Preston, “you win, my old truck smoked but it never caught on fire!”
No comments:
Post a Comment