Ribosome's, Nucleolus, vacuole, cytoplast???? Ring a bell?? Ryan had to do a project for science by making a model or poster of an animal or plant cell. For 10 extra points you could turn it in early and for 20 extra points you could do both! Of Course Ryan wanted to do BOTH! and turn them in early. He has had all A’s since he started getting letter grades but the extra credit was very important to him so we did both. I remembered (vaguely) about making some sort of salt dough in the 4th grade so I asked around and got several ideas. We ended up doing a mixture of even parts salt and flour and 1/2 water. It made a nice sticky paste. We used this for the Animal cell and made all the parts out of the clay too. We then added toothpicks with the names of each part. It was still pretty damp and sticky so I put the oven on the lowest degree and set it on a cookie sheet with the door open. (The last thing I needed was for the thing to melt or catch fire) It worked and looked really nice. When I had looked on line for ideas, several over–achiever moms had made the cell projects out of Jell-O or cakes. So after I got permission, we decided to make the Plant Cell into a cake that his class could eat after Ryan presented it. Ryan loves to bake and can mix up a cake all by himself. I just helped to pour it into the pan and put it in and out of the oven. Ryan then iced it and we decorated it with various kinds of candy. I think we could have done a better job but it was just for extra credit and so I could be the over-achiever mom :) He is going to take it to school tomorrow….WITH all the forks, plates and napkins…For Chris and all you other teachers out there (I am one too and know the drill!)
The Animal cell made out of salt dough
Working on the Plant cell cake
The finished cake and Key
No comments:
Post a Comment