Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Catching up

Hello again...finally
I have really missed "blogging".  I would think of a great blog post or "blog worthy" moment and then not be able to get on to write about it.  I have switched laptops with Dennis since mine is older, eaten up with viruses and not compatible anymore with my blog writer.  BUT this computer's blog writer says my user name and/or password is wrong so I am almost back to square one! Instead of many short blogs, I will do one larger "catch up" blog to share what has gone on since February.  HOWEVER, the March pictures are on the other laptop (of course) so I cannot really remember or add pictures from then!! BOOO.  I DO KNOW that the boys went fishing again with Kenny and boys and caught lots of fish and had a great time.  Preston, the college man, did not get to go because his spring break was the week before ours.  We also went to Baton Rouge to celebrate my Great Aunt Ethel's 90th birthday (which was also the weekend of MY birthday).  We had a nice trip and got to spend time with family including my dad's two brothers and wives.  All three brothers do not get to spend a lot of quality time together so that was nice. As I typed this I remembered that I have pictures on my phone, so 600+ pictures and 24 minutes later I have them on the laptop and ready to add!!
The boys and I on the road trip to Baton Rouge
Aunt Ethel now
Aunt Ethel "then"



Crammed into a booth at a BBQ joint,  Good thing Dennis wasn't there!! Boys at another table

On the way back we drove through LSU and saw the Tiger.  We are NOT LSU fans but having a live tiger on campus IS pretty neat!



Really??
 
In April Ryan was in South Pacific.  He did not try out or have a speaking role but was asked to join late because they needed more "men".  He was a soldier and in several group scenes and songs.  Of course he LOVED it.
Ryan far right

Ryan in middle


Ryan kneeling

Ryan (at top) with some of the cast after last show

 
May was the month of awards.  Ryan racked up at honors day bringing home about 7 certificates for all As and highest average in every core subject.  Grant ended up with As and Bs this year. 
Ryan with Gran and Grandaddy at band awards.He received awards for the most outstanding under-classman and most outstanding brass member.  He played the Baritone this year.   He loved band and attended honor bands at South Alabama and Huntington Universities this past school year.  He was also selected to the all-county honor band again this year.

Ryan getting one of many certificates at academic awards day


After awards day, we all played hooky (first time ever I think) and I whisked them off to the beach for the rest of the day. Preston had just finished his first year of college and was home so he and his friend Jordin also came with us.  We had a great day enjoying the waves, sun, shopping, ice cream and a nice dinner at Margarittaville!




We also played a spring football game at the Troy University stadium.  Grant picked up where he left off last football season and returned an interception for a touchdown!
At the all sports banquet Grant racked up the awards including the Southeast Sun Player of the year for Football.  He was named to  All State First Team Defense for the state of Alabama in 2A (our division: smaller school). He also received an outstanding defense award for football and the courage award in basketball.  This year our football team, basketball, team and baseball team all made it to the playoffs.  Basketball made it to the Elite Eight and baseball made it to the 2nd round before losing.  We had a great year for our sports teams.

On Memorial day weekend we made a fire pit and the boys cleaned off their "outfield wiffle ball fence" by making a redneck slip and slide.  They used all my dish detergent but had a fun time!


Grant at all sports awards banquet
 
 Somewhere in there, Grant and I got to go to Jacksonville State University in northern Alabama for Junior Day.  Grant was invited to attend and we got to tour the campus and all of the athletic facilities.  Grant got to try on a Jax State football jersey and we got to see the athletic dorms, Presidential Box seats, library and cafeteria where we got to eat with their friend Daniel who is going to be a long snapper this coming football season. It was a fun little trip and a nice way to spend some time with Grant.

will Grant be #11 for Jax State some day?  we'll see....


 
I finished a very busy school year as a dalmatian!  Our school shows a movie on the last day of school and this years movie was 101 Dalmatians.  Some of the teachers dressed up as dalmatians and we may do it again for this Halloween. 
Preston enjoyed his first year in college!  He played on many intramural teams and his grades were pretty good for a freshman coming from a small school to a huge college.  He is even taking a summer calculus course at a local community college this summer.  Next year he will have even more calculus and physics!! wow!
 
 
That should catch you up to June. The next posts will share our summer adventures!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment